onsdag 27 maj 2015

English idioms

I was rooted to the spot.
unable to move because of fear or surprise.
Mary stood rooted to the spot when the thief snatched her bag.

I'm as snug as a bug in a rug.
cozy and comfortable
The bedroom in Aunt Jane's house was cold, but after she wrapped me up in four or five quilts and put a stocking cap on my head, I was snug as a bug in a rug and ready to go to sleep. Alan: Are you warm enough? Jane: Yes, I'm as snug as a bug in a rug.

I'm the apple of her eye.
if someone is the 'apple of your eye', they are appreciated, loved, or cherished above others.
I spoil my grandson because he's the apple of my eye.

To catch a person red-handed.
to catch a person in the act of doing something wrong.
Tom was stealing the car when the police drove by and caught him red-handed.

You are talking through your hat.
to talk about something without understanding what you are talking about
Nothing of what he said made sense - he was talking through his hat.

To pull someone's leg
to kid, fool, or trick someone.
Don't believe him. He's just pulling your leg.

Not my cup of tea.
not what someone likes or is interested in
I realize a fantasy computer game is not everyone's cup of tea, but this one is amazing.

I can't make head or tail of it.
unable to understand someone or something.
George is so strange. I can't make heads or tails of him.

Old as the hills.
something very old
That's not a new joke; it's as old as the hills!

Make ends meet
to have just enough money to pay for the things that you need

My wages were so low that I had to take a second job just to make ends meet.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar