måndag 4 mars 2013

Hi Ohio/One moment in time

Consider using these phrases/words when writing your essay.

TO SHOW ORDER/TIME
Firstly - There are two reasons for this decision: firstly...
Secondly - There are two reasons for this decision: firstly... and secondly...
Finally - After a long delay the show finally started. 
In the meantime - The next programme starts in five minutes: in the meantime,here's some music.
To begin with - To begin with I would like to say thank you for inviting me tonight.
Later on - I'll see you later on this afternoon.
 After a while - The film was really boring and after a while I fell asleep.
Eventually - Eventually, after looking at about forty houses, they bought the one in Russell Street. / There was a long delay before she eventually agreed to see us.
 

TO SHOW CONTRAST
However - His first response was to say no. Later, however, he changed his mind.
 In spite of this - They went out in spite of the rain.
On the one hand - On the one hand I want to travel abroad, but on the other hand I don't want to give up my job.
On the other hand - On the one hand I want to travel abroad, but on the other hand I don't want to give up my job.
On the contrary - It wasn't a boring film, on the contrary, I thought it was really good.
 Whereas - He earns €10 000 a year whereas she gets at least €30 000.

TO SHOW ATTITUDE
Of course - ”Do you like my mother?” ”Of course I do!”
Luckily - Luckily the meeting had started late.
 Obviously - He was obviously drunk. / Obviously we don't want to spend too much money.
Fortunately - I was late, but fortunately the meeting hadn't started. / Fortunately, Mark quickly found another job.
Unfortunately - I was late and unfortunately the meeting had already started.
Naturally - Naturally, the lawyer sent us a huge bill.

TO SHOW ADDITION / TO ADD SOMETHING

Furthermore - Furthermore, we need more jobs in the area.
Also - He is young and good-looking and also very rich.
What´s more - And what's more, they felt that they should actually do things to help other people get what they wanted.
Another reason for - That is another reason for not getting involved here.
Besides - There will be five of us for dinner, besides the children.
Additionally - Additionally, an extra bus will run on Sundays from 9 am to 6 pm.

TO SUMMARIZE
Finally - Finally, I would like to say...
In other words - In other words I am suggesting that...
 To sum up - To sum up, I would like to say that...
On the whole - On the whole, the dinner was quite a success.

TO GIVE EXAMPLES
For instance - I can play quite a few musical instruments, for instance, the flute, the guitar and the piano.
For example - I can play quite a few musical instruments, for example, the flute, the guitar, and the piano.
To illustrate
To demonstrate 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar