måndag 4 mars 2013

Hi Ohio/One moment in time

Consider using these phrases/words when writing your essay.

TO SHOW ORDER/TIME
FirstlyThere are two reasons for this decision: firstly...
Secondly There are two reasons for this decision: firstly... and secondly...
FinallyAfter a long delay the show finally started. 
In the meantimeThe next programme starts in five minutes: in the meantime,here's some music.
To begin withTo begin with I would like to say thank you for inviting me tonight.
Later onI'll see you later on this afternoon.
 After a whileThe film was really boring and after a while I fell asleep.
EventuallyEventually, after looking at about forty houses, they bought the one in Russell Street. / There was a long delay before she eventually agreed to see us.
 

TO SHOW CONTRAST
HoweverHis first response was to say no. Later, however, he changed his mind.
 In spite of thisThey went out in spite of the rain.
On the one hand On the one hand I want to travel abroad, but on the other hand I don't want to give up my job.
On the other hand On the one hand I want to travel abroad, but on the other hand I don't want to give up my job.
On the contrary It wasn't a boring film, on the contrary, I thought it was really good.
 Whereas He earns €10 000 a year whereas she gets at least €30 000.

TO SHOW ATTITUDE
Of courseDo you like my mother?” ”Of course I do!”
LuckilyLuckily the meeting had started late.
 ObviouslyHe was obviously drunk. / Obviously we don't want to spend too much money.
FortunatelyI was late, but fortunately the meeting hadn't started. / Fortunately, Mark quickly found another job.
UnfortunatelyI was late and unfortunately the meeting had already started.
NaturallyNaturally, the lawyer sent us a huge bill.

TO SHOW ADDITION / TO ADD SOMETHING

FurthermoreFurthermore, we need more jobs in the area.
Also He is young and good-looking and also very rich.
What´s moreAnd what's more, they felt that they should actually do things to help other people get what they wanted.
Another reason forThat is another reason for not getting involved here.
BesidesThere will be five of us for dinner, besides the children.
AdditionallyAdditionally, an extra bus will run on Sundays from 9 am to 6 pm.

TO SUMMARIZE
Finally Finally, I would like to say...
In other words In other words I am suggesting that...
 To sum upTo sum up, I would like to say that...
On the wholeOn the whole, the dinner was quite a success.

TO GIVE EXAMPLES
For instanceI can play quite a few musical instruments, for instance, the flute, the guitar and the piano.
For example I can play quite a few musical instruments, for example, the flute, the guitar, and the piano.
To illustrate
To demonstrate 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar